Making plans for after graduation

As seniors, a lot of pressure is put on students to have a plan for after graduation. From the time kids learn to talk they are asked what they want to be when they grow up. When students start high school the pressure really gets tough.

“I have had my mind made up since ninth grade,” Sabrina Edwards (Senior) said. For some though, the decision might not come to them until later in their high school career. Also, some student never had to really make a choice they just knew what they wanted to do since they could remember.

There are many choices for paths to take after graduation. A few of which include: a four year college or university, a two year college, trade and certificate programs, military, working and taking a gap year.

While a college degree is not necessary, more and more jobs are requiring some form of college education. This is resulting in more high school seniors to make the choice to attend college.

Further schooling is not for everyone though. Especially those students that struggled to get through high school in the first place and those that do not have the financial means to continue their education.

For those jobs that do not require a college degree, high school graduates can jump right into working after graduation. Being able to start working and doing what you want can be a good thing for some people but not everybody. These kinds of jobs can be somewhat of a saving grace for those students that cannot afford college or are not good at school.

The military is also an option that many students make. “My plans are to join the military — particularly the Marine Corps,” Edwards said, “and I would like to be a nurse.” The military can also provides graduates a source of opportunity to further their education. The education they receive might not be the typical college education but it can teach people very important information and skills. Also, some branches of the military will send people to college.

No matter what decisions is made, most times they take a lot of preparation. Whether it is saving money, deciding what the goal is once students get to where they want to go or just finding a job that suits them and their goals.

Many students take classes during high school that contribute to the preparation of what they want to do. Cassidi Hannah (senior) wants to “go to college and then join the police department,” Hannah said, “and if preparation for this I took and completed the law and justice pathway that the high school offers.”

Sometimes, even when a student thinks they have everything figured out, their plan does not work out like they thought it would. When this happens though, many students have a backup plan that involves some of the same aspects of what they wanted to do to begin with. Brittnie Riddle (senior) plans “to go to Valdosta for sports medication,” Riddle said, “but my backup plan is to go to school for nursing and be some form of doctor.”

Most schools put in a lot of hard work to try and help students figure out what would be suit them in the future. Even still there are some students that just cannot decide.