Filed under Band, CAMPUS NEWS, FINE ARTS

The road to LGPE for band students

The road to LGPE for band students

The symphonic band works hard on their LGPE pieces during an after school rehearsal. Both the wind ensemble and symphonic band have been working to improve their LGPE pieces before March.

The symphonic band works hard on their LGPE pieces during an after school rehearsal. Both the wind ensemble and symphonic band have been working to improve their LGPE pieces before March. "I'm excited! I love the pieces, and I think we will do very well," Emily Young (11) said.

For band students, Large Group Performance Evaluations (LGPE) is an every year occurrence. Every March, several bands from across southwest Georgia travel to Cairo to perform in LGPE, an event that provides bands the opportunity to receive feedback on their performance and musical skills. Bands choose three different pieces to perform, one march, one lyrical piece, and one technical piece.

Preparation for LGPE started all the way back in December. Ronald Hill (faculty) selected a grade three program for the symphonic band to play for LGPE, the first time the symphonic band has played a full out grade three program in a long time. The pieces selected were entitled “Bravura” by C.E. Duble, “With Each Sunset” by Richard L. Saucedo, and “Reverberations” by Brian Balmages.

The wind ensemble settled on a grade six program, the highest grade a band can enter in without entering the masters grade. The pieces they selected were entitled “Entry of the Gladiators” by Julius Fucik, “Cry of the Last Unicorn” by Rossano Galante, and “Arabesque” by Samuel R. Hazo.

Since December, the two bands have been working to perfect each piece to the best of their abilities. At LGPE, the pieces will be judged by three different judges, and scores will be given ranging from five (poor) to one (superior).

The two bands worked on their three pieces every day in class, and after school practices were also held on Monday for the wind ensemble and on Tuesday for the symphonic band. After school practice is great for both bands, especially the symphonic band. Several students in the wind ensemble who do not have symphonic band as a class “double down”, playing a different instrument from their own in the symphonic band to help out with the sound and balance.

Victoria Crickmar (11) is one of many wind ensemble students doubling on second instruments. She is an alto saxophone player in the wind ensemble, but she plays the clarinet in the symphonic band.

“It’s been good to learn a new instrument since I love music so much,” Crickmar said. “I also enjoy being able to help out with people who struggle a little more when it comes to playing.”

The LCHS wind ensemble performing alongside the VSU wind ensemble.

Pre-LGPE was held in the auditorium on February 21. An annual event for the bands, Pre-LGPE is a concert that simulates what the real LGPE will be like. Different judges will volunteer to judge the bands as they perform in the auditorium. Parents and others are also allowed to attend this event. This year’s Pre-LGPE even featured a special performance from the Valdosta State University Wind Ensemble. The VSU band and the high school wind ensemble joined together to perform “Galop” by Dmitri Shostakovich.

The bands are able to gain valuable information and tips through the judges that volunteer at the concert. From the time after Pre-LGPE to LGPE, the two bands push to work on what needs fixing, using the comments from the judges as guidelines.

This year, the two bands were able to attend the GA Bandmaster Concert Festival in Bainbridge. The Festival is similar to Pre-LGPE, in the the bands are able to receive guidance from judges before the real LGPE. Several different school from across southwest Georgia came to perform at this event and receive some help before LGPE.

Unlike Pre-LGPE at the high school, the bands were given scores at the festival. The two bands received superiors from all the judges.

“I feel good, but I’m also a bit nervous since we are playing all grade 6 pieces,” Madison Bradley (10), a trumpet player in the wind ensemble, said about LGPE.

LGPE will be held this week in Cairo, Georgia.

About the Writer
Jackson Carlstrom, Co-Editor

Hi, my name is Jackson Carlstrom, and I am a junior this school year. I am a Co-Editor for the 2018-2019 PanopticOnline staff. Writing is my passion, it...