How To Prevent Sexual Harassment

Sexual+harassment+is+a+very+serious+matter+than+many+people+face+daily.+Knowing+ones+boundaries+and+respecting+them+is+very+important%2C+and+acknowledging+the+issue+is+critical+as+well.++

How To Prevent Sexual Harassment

Sexual harassment is a very serious matter than many people face daily. Knowing ones boundaries and respecting them is very important, and acknowledging the issue is critical as well.

Sexual harassment can be a very difficult and uncomfortable topic to discuss. Many people are sexually harassed every day, and some of those victims do not know how to handle it properly. There are precautions many men and women can take to avoid being harassed, and what to do if they do find themselves or someone else in the situation. 

First and foremost, sexual harassment is behavior characterized by the making of unwelcome or inappropriate sexual remarks or physical advances in a workplace or other professional or social situation. Sexual harassment can happen anywhere and to anyone. No one is guaranteed to escape sexual harassment, but there are many precautions and actions that are available to anyone who wants to educate themselves on this topic. 

The Minority Nurse says that one important step to preventing sexual harassment from happening to someone is by taking sexual harassment prevention courses or training. These classes offer self-defense courses that allow a potential victim to learn what to do if they are ever in the situation, and what the proper steps are to ensure that the victim leaves the situation safely.

Also, being very clear of what conversations the victim partakes in is a very important factor as well.

“You need to set precedents as to what conversations you are involving yourself in,” Kathy Walker (Faculty) said. “Don’t participate in aggressive conversations, and if you don’t think something someone is saying is appropriate, you tell them.”

Another way to avoid sexual harassment is by letting the harasser know that what they are doing is not okay. This does not only apply to females, but males as well.

“If you ever feel uncomfortable in the situation that you’re in, you stand up for yourself and tell that person no,” Karen Hancock (Administrationsaid. “If they don’t stop after you’ve told them no and that you don’t appreciate what you are doing, then you go to someone higher. No means no.”

Lastly, many harassers have been getting away with no punishment because the victims feel as if it is their fault that they are being sexually harassed. The first step to stopping sexual harassment completely is by the victim realizing that they are not the problem.

“Too many women and men today have let sexual harassment go unreported because they feel like it is their fault that this is happening to them,” Hancock said. “Don’t ever feel like you are to blame because of someone else’s sick actions.”

Speaking out on the topic creates more awareness, and it can help someone who may potentially be a victim and not even know it. Just simply talking about sexual harassment and a person stating how they expect to be treated can allow someone else to know what boundaries they have, and it could even potentially lessen the chances of sexual harassment from happening.

Although sexual harassment may seem like something that is only talked about, it can happen to anyone. No one is save from harassment, and everyone should be very aware of the subject and what they can do to prevent themselves from becoming a victim.

No one is dismissed from the hands of a predator, and everyone deserves to be educated on the matter to know when enough is enough.

About the Writer
Haley Owens, Staff Reporter

Hi! My name is Haley Owens, and I am a senior. I am a varsity Competition and Football Cheerleader for the high school, and I have been on varsity for...