Filed under ACADEMIA, STUDENTS

Forensic footprints

This+is+the+footprint+as+it+is+hardening+after+the+students+make+the+cast.+%E2%80%9CThis+was+a+fun+experiment+that+everyone+should+try%E2%80%9D+Carlee+Norman+%2812%29.+This+is+an+excellent+way+to+show+how+the+real+scientist+do+it%2C+and+a+good+way+to+feel+how+it+is+done.+

Forensic footprints

This is the footprint as it is hardening after the students make the cast. “This was a fun experiment that everyone should try” Carlee Norman (12). This is an excellent way to show how the real scientist do it, and a good way to feel how it is done.

In Mrs. Watson’s class, there is an experiment being done to demonstrate how footprints are being taken up. This lab helps show how the process is followed through, and the process of how forensic scientist do take up footprints from a crime scene.

“This lab helps me see how the process is done, and really is a good visualization of how everything is done” Carlee Norman (12).

Students are able to do hands on experiments where they make a cast of their own footprint, and compare them to other footprints to get a match. This really is a hands on experiment that helps students comprehend and see everything in a better perspective.

First the students get a tray of dirt, and step one foot into the tray to make an impression into the dirt. Then there is a mixture that is made to fill the imprint in the dirt. The students fill the imprint with the mixture, and then put popsicle sticks to stabilize the cast when it hardens. The mixture is left to harden until the next day.

“The next day we examined the cast, and then compared them to other footprints that were pressed onto paper” Lanny Green (12).

The sheets of paper that the prints were printed on are laid out around the room, and then the students get a random cast, and then have to compare and see what prints match which one. It is like a puzzle and is just like a real crime scene, and you have to figure out which print matches to which print. It gives you the feel of a real crime scene, and how the real investigators figure out who the suspect is.

The teachers usually always come up with some kind of experiment to be able to show, and better explain the topic, and this experiment especially helps show how it is done, because the students are doing the same exact thing as a real forensic scientist is doing.

“I like feeling like I am actually the scientist, and like I am doing the work that they do. It is something fun to do and keeps us interested, instead of doing busy work” Haley Owens (12).

The students have to think, and it is a very fun puzzle that they get to complete, and something fun to do.